We provide mentoring services to autistic adults in Leeds with little or no support who would benefit from some independent, autism-specific support.
Our volunteer mentors are fully-trained and are able to meet with you and help set life goals. Some of our mentors are autistic themselves and have additional awareness of the barriers that can prevent people from fulfilling their potential.
Our service will aim to find you the best possible match. There will be introductory meetings and regular ongoing support for both the mentor and mentee.
Among the things our mentors can do are:
- Meet on a regular basis to help see how you’re doing, in a place that’s appropriate such as your home or a local cafe
- Listen to anything you need to talk about
- Create a mentoring plan together by helping you to identify and set life goals
- Signpost you to any relevant services/support
Please note that mentors are not the same as support workers.
Looking for a mentor
If you would like Leeds Autism AIM to match you with a mentor, you need to know the following:
- To be eligible for a mentoring match, you need to be an autistic adult
- You also need to live in the Leeds City Council area and receive little or no funded support
For more information or to apply for a mentor, please email us at email@example.com and we will be in touch as soon as we can.
Becoming a volunteer mentor
We are looking for suitable people to become volunteer mentors. To become one, you’ll need to:
- Contact us and we will send you more information and an application form
- Have a meeting with us. We will arrange to meet you at a suitable time
- Enrol on our next mentoring training sessions – it has two sessions; one on autism awareness and the other on mentoring itself
- Be suitable for training – we’re interested to hear from anyone with knowledge or an interest in autism, particularly people with lived experience
- Have a little spare time each week to meet your mentee. Typically, this is around an hour over each fortnight
For more information on becoming a mentor, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be in touch as soon as we can.